Paddle Pop inventor Ron Street said he created the ice treat to win customers from a rival company, following an overseas trip as Streets technical director.
But his uncle Edwin (Ted) Street - who founded Streets Ice Cream in the 1930s with his brother Daniel, Ron's father - was not taken with the idea.
Speaking on the Paddle Pop's 60th birthday, Mr Street said his uncle told him his creation would be a "nine-day wonder".
"It took off like a wildfire, it just took off," Mr Street said yesterday.
Mr Street, now 88, chose a career in the family ice cream business after refusing an offer to join NASA's space program as an engineer.
The Paddle Pop was six months in development and given its name because its shape resembled a paddle. The shaggy-maned Paddle Pop Lion appeared in 1960 after Unilever bought Streets.
Mr Street said Paddle Pops were produced only in chocolate for the first two years and were so popular the factory had to put on an extra shift of workers.
Mr Street left Unilever five years after it bought Streets.
Caramel remains his favourite Paddle Pop flavour but his favourite ice cream is now Magnum, also a Streets product.
To celebrate the Paddle Pop's 60th birthday, Streets has brought back its classic vanilla flavour, loved by Aussies when it first appeared in the 1950s.
- 1 x U.S.A Theme Park Adventure Holiday -
A trip for four people (two adults and two children aged 11 years and under) to Los Angeles, USA including: return economy airfares from winners’ nearest Australian capital city to Los Angeles, USA; all airline and airport taxes; two nights 4 star accommodation in Los Angeles, USA in a Standard Guest Room; one day entry for two adults and two children (aged 11 years and under) to Universal Studios; four nights 4 star accommodation in Anaheim, USA in a Standard Guest Room; two day Family Disney Park Hopper Pass allowing entry into California Adventure & Disneyland for two adults and two children (aged 11 years and under); one day entry for two adults and two children (aged 11 years and under ) to Knots Berry Farm; one day entry for two adults and two children (aged 11 years and under) to Legoland California; AU$700 to be used towards transport and all associated costs; and AU$1,000.00 spending money for the winner only.
- 150 x Springfree Trampoline - AU$985
- 100 x iPod touch (8 GB) - AU$219
- 1000 x Adventure Tent - AU$50
- 5000 x three month Kzone/Total Girl Magazine Subscriptions - AU$8.80
- 2,000,000 x Paddle Pops - AU$1.30
- 1 x Disneyland Resort Holiday - AU$15,000
The Disneyland Resort Holiday prize is a trip for four people (two adults and two children aged 12 years and under) to Los Angeles, USA including: return economy airfares from winners’ nearest Australian capital city to Los Angeles, USA; all airline and airport taxes; return shuttle transfers to and from airport and accommodation; five nights 4 star quad share accommodation; a 3-Day Family Park Hopper Pass (entry for two adults and two children aged 12 years and under into Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park for three days); and AU$1,000 spending money
- 60 x XBOX Kinect Packs - AU$449
- 1000 x SKYLANDERS: Spyro Game - AU$99
- 4,000 x Adventure Packs (backpack, water bottle and cap) - AU$42
- 2,002,875 x Paddle Pops - AU$1.60
- 2,000,000 x Paddle Pops - AU$1.20
- 5000 x Vortex Howlers - AU$15.95
- 1500 x Super Soakers - AU$34.95
- 200 x Walkie Talkies - AU$50.00
- 100 x Scooters - AU$185.00
- 3 x Elemagika Adventure Family Holiday - AU$12,200
Each Family Adventure prize is for four people (2 adults and 2 children aged 0 -12 years) including return economy airfares from the winner’s nearest Australian capital city to Cairns, QLD, 5 nights, four star family accommodation in a 2 bedroom suite or similar, breakfast included daily. Prize includes all private car airport transfers $1,000.00 AUD spending money, and the choice of three activities per person only from the following selection: “Quicksilver Outer Barrier Reef Cruise”, “Hot Hair Ballooning”, “Tully River Rafting”, “Skyrail Train Experience”, “Cape Tribulation 4WD Tour”,“ Horse Riding and ATV Adventure” “Day Pass to Hartleys Crocodile Farm”, “Tjapukai by Night Traditional Aboriginal Cultural Tour”, “Full Day Sea Kayak” and a “Jungle Surfing Canopy Tour”.
- 750,000 x Paddle Pops - AU$1.10
- 4,500 x Wahu Beach Packs (packs include a Wahu Soccer Ball and Wahu Frisc) - AU$50.00
- 80 x Manta ‘Ride’ Bodyboards - AU$159.95
- 15 x Mongoose Rockadile AL 20” Bikes - AU$319.00 Prize also includes a AU$45 gift voucher for the selected bike shop for the purchase of a bike helmet. Total value of the prize is $364.00
- 2 x Gold Coast Family Holidays - AU$8,000
Each Gold Coast Theme Park Family Holiday prize is for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children under the age of 18 years) including return economy airfares to Coolangatta, QLD, from the Australian capital city nearest to the winner’s place of residence (if necessary), airport/hotel transfers for 2 adults and 2 children, 5 nights accommodation in a Superior room at Sea World Resort and 4 x SUPER PASS which entitles the winner and 3 companions to up to 14 days unlimited entry to Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World and Wet ‘n’ Wild Water World.